Michael K. Noonan
Mike Noonan was born in Lansing, Michigan, on March 3, 1946. He was admitted to practice in Illinois and before the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (including Trial Bar) in 1974; he was admitted to the U.S. Supreme Court and appeared before that body in 1979; he was admitted to practice before the 7th Circuit Federal Court of Appeals in 2004. Mike is a graduate of the University of Michigan Law School after completing his undergraduate education at Northern Illinois University, where he graduated as president of the Political Science Honor Society. Mike enlisted and served in the United States Army from 1969-1971.
Mike's practice is concentrated in personal injury defense litigation, municipal defense, civil rights, commercial litigation, and construction litigation including construction accidents. Mike has handled countless automobile and truck accident cases, as well as bodily injuries occurring as a result of the negligent maintenance of property by both home owners and commercial business. Much of his career has been devoted to construction litigation representing both contractors and property owners. In chancery, he has represented Fortune 500 corporations in obtaining or defeating claims for injunctive relief. Mike represents both individuals whose civil rights have been violated, and wrongly accused police officers. On the commercial level, his clients include both major corporations and banks in need of litigation support. He has tried in excess of 100 jury trials and conducted countless bench matters and administrative hearings. Mike was a guest lecturer at the University of Health Sciences/Chicago Medical School from 1983-1987. He is a court-appointed arbitrator of the 19th Judicial Circuit and has served since 1991.
Mike currently holds memberships in the Lake County Bar Association where he is chairman of the Judiciary & Court Rules Committee and has held this position since 1987. He is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association, where he has lectured extensively. Mike is also a member of the Lake County Trial Lawyer's Association and, Jefferson Inn, American Inns of Court. Mike is rated as an A.V. attorney by the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory.
Residing with his wife in Libertyville, Illinois, Mike is an avid golfer and chef. He has three children, two daughters and son, who have embarked on professional careers in medicine, accounting and finance. Dedicated to youth athletics, Mike has volunteered his service as a board member and counsel to the Greater Libertyville Soccer Association and the Libertyville Township Soccer Complex, Ltd., a not-for-profit corporation which developed a 110 acre complex of fifteen (15) soccer fields.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Rights
- Construction Litigation
- Injunctive and Chancery Relief
- Commercial Litigation
- Bodily Injury
- Illinois, 1974
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1974
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 2005
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2005
- University of Michigan Law School at Ann Arbor, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- J.D. - 1973
- Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL
- B.A. - 1968
- Honors: President Political Science Honor Society
- Major: Political Science
- Civil Practice Seminar, Lake County Bar Association, 2006 - Present
- Civil Practice Seminar, Lake County Bar Association
- Civil Trial & Appeal Seminar, Lake County Bar Association, 2002 - Present
- Civil Trial & Appeal Seminar, Lake County Bar Association, 1999 - Present
- Expert Witness Seminar, Illinois State Bar Association, 1992 - Present
- Civil Practice Hot Tips, Illinois State Bar Association, 1991 - Present
- Legal Education Series, Illinois State Bar Association, 1993 - Present
Honors and Awards
- President, Pi Sigma Alpha, 1967 - 1968
- Elected Member, Board of Education, District 68, Lake County, IL.
- "AV" Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Arbitrator, 19th Judicial Circuit, 1991 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Lake County Bar Association, Chairman, Judiciary and Court Rules Committee, 1987 - Present
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer Attorney for Libertyville Township Soccer Complex, 1995 - 2005
- Volunteer Attorney for Greater Libertyville Soccer Association, 1995 - 2005
- Pi Sigma Alpha